Remaining fit and active during and after pregnancy can be challenging, particularly if pain is an issue. Many women would like to exercise, but are unsure how to do it safely while pregnant.
Our practice is experienced in assessing and treating pregnant and post natal women.
We offer a comprehensive programme that encompasses:
- Assessment for those with low back pain, hip or pubic Symphysis pain ( Pelvic Girdle Pain of Pregnancy -PGPP)
- Treatment for acute pain
- Tailored exercise programmes to restore mobility and strength that are safe and relevant to pregnant women
- Progression to Reformer based Clinical Pilates one on one sessions
- Clinical Pilates Classes (maximum 4 people) with individualised programmes.
The benefits of exercising in pregnancy include:
- Maintaining flexibility
- Assisting in maintaining a healthy weight
- Improving co-ordination
- Aiding post natal recovery
Following birth, the changes to the body due to hormones and delivery can affect the musculoskeletal system. For example, separation of the Rectus Abdominus can compromise core stability and therefore contribute to low back pain.
It is essential to assess and restore the “’abdominal canister” through a specific, graded exercise programme, to allow a return to an active lifestyle.
Our Clinical Pilates programme provides this progressive exercise, with close supervision and upgrading as appropriate.